2008年4月22日星期二

For My Graduates


For My Graduates 4.22.2008

Dear All,

This is the happiest time of a year; weather begins to warm up, flower start to bloom, birds whisper to tell each other spring is here. For me, this is also the saddest time, maybe I should say: a mixed feeling indeed.

We have known each other for 4 years. I believe these years must be one of the wonderful times in your life. If you don’t believe me, please come back in 10 years and tell me then. I am really happy to be part of yours here. For you, the countless hours of homework, studying, working on research project are dreadful; however, friends, classmates and professors you have met here are part of the reward you earn. I believe you will treasure all these once you leave this campus.

Many times when I explained Infectious Disease and Microbiology, I told you all to be: CAREFUL. Again, I hope you will be extremely careful in choosing your future pathway. Life is full of surprises and challenges. Be strong, be not afraid and be brave to face whatever appearing in front of you. For you, life is not the end here. Instead, it will be a starting point. Make the best of the knowledge you have learnt here, and use the friends and professors you met here wisely, for we might be somewhat useful for you at times. I have never said Education or Life is easy, I have challenged you so much and hope you can prepare to the outside world. Here, I do not have the greatest present for you to celebrate the graduation, but I will leave a promise with you. If you ever need me, I will be an email, a phone call, a Facebook poke or just a text message away. I may not be the best person to give you any advises, however, my ear and my heart will always open up to listen.

Many times, I got mad at you: how could you write such a lousy lab report; why you performed so badly in the exam and why you were absent from the class. In return, I am so glad that you are holding on to the end, giving a great presentation; proud of you got admitted to graduate school; and very happy that you actually set a plan for your future. Like a mom, I am always worrying and I will never be secure until one day you really grow up. In my heart and soul, you will always be a kid to me!

At the end, I would say something just like when you are flying on a plane, before you leave that plane, the announcement says: thanks for riding with me on this Manhattanville College, I believe you have arrived your destination safety and I hope you will find us a pleasure to ride with and have a wonderful (life) trip. I hope in the near future, I would see you again!

Have a great day and a wonderful life ahead of you!

With all my love and best wishes,

Anna (Dr. Cheung)

没有评论: